CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

The Sugar's Creations....

Sunday, July 5, 2009

An Interview with Christine Nay

Happy Sunday Sugars!! I'm so excited to get to introduce our July Guest Designer today! Christine Nay from Change of Heart has graciously agreed to share her talents with us this month.

If you've never stopped by Christine's blog, grab your choice of beverage, find a comfortable seat and explore!! She's not only amazingly talented, but has an amazing story to tell as well. Her beauty is more than skin-deep....it flows from her inner soul! I am lucky enough to get to serve on the Flutter By team with her and the first time I visited her blog, I was just blessed so much! I know you will be too!
Tell us about the first time you stamped.
I was living away from home during Christmas 2007 and wanted to do something special (but inexpensive) for my friends and family so I decided to send handmade Christmas cards. I bought a Christmas paper stack, a Cuttlebug, some dies and a few sentiment stamps and made my Christmas cards. I didn’t really start making other cards until I started my blog in January 2009. There was so much inspiration out in blogland and I absorbed everything I could. Now I’m hooked.
What 3 stamp related products can you not live without?
Watercolor paints and pencils, Prisma colored pencils and, lately because of digi stamps, my computer and printer. I think I named more than three but they are all related (hehe).
What is your favorite technique to use?
Water coloring
What process do your follow to create a card?
The first and most important for my creative process is to decide on an image. If I pick an image that fits my mood, the rest is easy. If it’s wrong, the card just doesn’t go together. After deciding on the image, I like to pick a sketch. Sometimes it’s from cards I’ve made in the past, but usually it’s a sketch from one of the many challenges in blogland. I decide on the basic color theme and then pick the paper depending on the colors and sketch. Since I mostly use watercolors, I pick the paper first so that I can match my paint to the paper. As I’m cutting paper and assembling the card, I use a small amount of repositionable adhesive to arrange the card. After I’m happy with it, I turn it upside down and attach one layer at a time with permanent adhesive.
Describe your style for us.
I think my style is eclectic (for lack of a better word). I really haven’t actually found a “style” yet. My favorite images are butterflies, fairies and flowers/gardening. I know what I’m attracted too and I think my favorite cards reflect that. For example, I purchased almost all of the garden/window digi stamps from MSB’s June release. However, I make a lot of my cards based on what I think a recipient (actual or perceived) would like.
I feel like something is missing from a card if it doesn't have
ribbon.
If you won the lottery, what stamp related item(s) would you buy first???
One word, COPICS, in every color!!!
If you knew you were dying, who would you will your crafting supplies to???
I think I would let my sisters and nieces fight over it (he-he). They each have areas of crafting that they enjoy so I don’t think they would argue too awfully much!
If you could attend a stamping party with 3 of your "idols" who would they be?
I think I would have to say Tim Holtz (http://www.timholtz.typepad.com/), then Dawn McVey (http://dawnmcvey.typepad.com/these_are_a_few_of_my_fav/) and Sandra MacLean (http://paperfuntastics.blogspot.com/).Tim has so many amazing techniques. I learn something every time I read his blog. Dawn brings a clean and elegant grace and style to her cards. Sandra uses an amazing water coloring technique on her images. She sent me some of her cards and I was wowed when I saw how she painted her images! She has helped me a lot with my
water coloring style.
What is your favorite MSB image or line?
Along that same line - what MSB image is You?
Okay, I know I have to make everything difficult but you can take that question two ways so I’ll answer it in two ways. The image that is most like me as a person is Precious Hippie Chic. I was born about five years too early to be a hippie but that is what’s in my heart.
The image that is most like my card making style is Potting Shed.
What's your guilty pleasure?
I’m not counting my paper crafting obsession because we all have that. It changes from time to time but right now it is hot fudge sundaes made with cherry ice cream. Yummmy!
{oh.my. gotta try that. SOON!}
Where do you see yourself in 20 years?
I’m at the point in my life now that I’d really like to see myself about the same but with a little more money! However, I would like to have had a card or project accepted by a magazine. That’s my ultimate goal with my little hobby.
{good luck girl! i believe in you!} 
Tell me more about you - the basics: family, job, other hobbies/interests, etc. Anything you want people to know about you. Have you ever been published/won a stamping contest, etc.
I’ve been single most of my life and was not lucky enough to have children. I was born and raised in Idaho and moved around quite a bit as a young adult. Then one day I realized it was time to come home!!! I moved back to Idaho and have been very happy here for 16 years with my family. I love the mountains and all of the activities that are part of Idaho. My next favorite hobby (other than cards of course) is music. I belong to the Idaho Old Time Fiddlers in which I play the mandolin. We go to care centers and retirement homes and entertain the residents several times a month. I have been on disability for five years (I had a heart transplant in 2007, yay!) so I have a lot of time to pursue the things I enjoy but not enough money to pursue them all. I would love to travel the world but travel close to home instead and enjoy everyday that I live. Since I have started making cards, this is my favorite activity, but I also love to garden. I love antiquing, thrift store shopping, cooking (which I hardly ever do), camping, reading, and spending time with family and friends, especially my great nieces and nephews.
I asked Christine to share her favorite card or project to date using Modern Sugar Blvd images. Here is what she sent:

Knowing that this collection is her favorite, I'm not surprised!! Be sure to notice the design of the card! I love how she created a scene with the arch and the window images....it feels to me like I'm walking up to a welcoming, joyful home!

Thanks Christine for sharing a bit about you with all of us! Christine is from Boise, Idaho and you can find her at SCS under changeofheart56 and on PCP under Christine. She hasn't been too active in groups but now that she is a designer for several teams you'll be seeing more of her!

Also take a moment to check out her blog (she used a MSB image for the "Oh Say Can You See" SNR Blog Hop this weekend)! You can find her MSB creations HERE!! Her Ice Cream Shop card is too, too cool! {and my personal favorite in case you were wondering --- to date anyway! *grins*}

We are really looking forward to Christine's creations that she'll be sharing throughout the month. Keep checking back for her lovely creations!!

No comments: